Linux Support?

Technical issues will be discussed here.

Linux Support?

Postby kidx » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:53 am

Can i play this mod on Linux they just release the 2013 SDK?
kidx
Tumbleweed

Re: Linux Support?

Postby RYell » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:17 am

We would need to port the mod to 2013 SDK first. There are no current plans.
RYell
Sheriff

Postby LeDucSAS » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:49 pm

Hi there, I wish to play this mod on linux too.

What must be done for the mod to 2013 SDK? What is the difficulties?

I'm 22, I have notions in programmation, some experience in web dev and server programmation in javascript (NodeJS server). I never worked on mods but I learn fast.

I wonder if I can help.
LeDucSAS
Tumbleweed

Postby RYell » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:22 pm

LeDucSAS wrote:Hi there, I wish to play this mod on linux too.

What must be done for the mod to 2013 SDK? What is the difficulties?

I'm 22, I have notions in programmation, some experience in web dev and server programmation in javascript (NodeJS server). I never worked on mods but I learn fast.

I wonder if I can help.

I thank your help offer, but porting mod code to a newer SDK requires someone that is very familiar with SDK itself and this mod in particular. Other than that it's pretty much impossible.

I'd love to offer this mod to more players but there are certain considerations to make.

1. Time. It's going to take lot of time, plus testing. As I say, this isn't a task for anyone else but me.
2. Support. I don't like the kind of support Valve offered during these years to mod teams. I don't want to spend lot of time and then discover they abandoned mod support again to focus on something else. Or there's a new and shinny SDK for Source 2 and SDK 2013 dies quickly.
3. Exposure. I have no idea what kind of exposure SDK 2013 mods may receive. If it's same until now, then this mod won't receive any because that's what happened in the previous years. A map or a hat/weapon model can be downloaded from Steam, but a whole mod can't be. Logical isn't it?
4. Greenlight. SDK 2013 is a requirement for mods to be greenlighted (I heard). Since we are light years away from being selected, a port to SDK 2013 is less necessary.
5. Linux and OSX won't bring us lot of players, it's hard to say but the gamer population isn't there yet.

So I'll just say, I need to know certain things before committing time to something that could be a gigantic waste of time
RYell
Sheriff

Postby kidx » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:48 am

What you gona do when a new SDK/Engine comes out your totally screwed? There is linux support yet no mods wanting to make the support weird? There goes Linux we desperetly wanted steam to come to linux so we could have mods like this yet evry one is dumping on linux whats teh point of steam and 25 games when mods like this one and GES are what i play and cant casue no one takes advantage of it?
kidx
Tumbleweed

Postby RYell » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:39 am

Then ask valve why they released a new sdk when barely anyone plays mods anymore. What incentive do we have, the few last mod devs, to port a lot of code to a new SDK, because we can? There's not even demand for it, 4 or 5 persons asked me for a linux port, and those aren't even usual players.
RYell
Sheriff

Postby kidx » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:48 pm

You said this is not gona gain you exposure pfffffffffft I beg to differ i am a player been so a long time am i gona go to windows to just play mods no thats why i came to linux to escape windows big mess with 8 lol but good luck to you just saying I would have voted green light for you and many others would have but your cutting out other platforms so no vote here sorry thanks for the fun times though really great mod if you own windows

"When you don't support another platform its like those people starve Help us help you".
kidx
Tumbleweed

Postby RYell » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:41 pm

I didn't said I'll never port FoF to Linux, it's just the conditions I'd like to see aren't met. Anyway, good riddance :roll:
RYell
Sheriff

Postby kidx » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:00 pm

Well if you decide to release on Linux ill be putting a server up well back up, i was planning to cause i thought you were coming to Linux. just saying still I tell every one about this mod.Me and my bro spent countless hours on this. Would like to continue to in the future I just hope you can come to a agreement to bring this to Linux. Any how i think i ranted enough man and hope to see this soon i am board.
kidx
Tumbleweed

Postby Snev » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:36 am

Hi RYell,

I'm a couple of months late in this thread but I wanted to say a few things.

I actually stopped playing FoF because I abandoned Windows a long time ago.
You say that the people asking for a linux release are not usual players. That seems kind of logical if they cannot play it on their main OS.
I cannot give you statistics but I experience more activity of linux players on different mods that are available for multiple platforms (non HL that is) than on Windows.
Also, the 5 players that have asked are certainly not the only ones. I know some people that would play FoF on linux if it would exist. I'm sure those 5 people know people too and so on.
Valve is really turning to Linux with the whole SteamOS and stuff.
The demand for good games is high on linux and FoF is one of the greatest games I have ever played!

I do understand the barriers for FoF to be ported to the newer SDK and the time it would require. Maybe you can talk to some devs who have ported their HL2 mod to linux (e.g. Estranged). Or maybe we can put up an interest poll on http://www.gamingonlinux.com/ or http://steamforlinux.com/ or ...?

If you ever plan to port FoF to linux, don't hesitate to contact me for testing.

Kind regards,
Sven
Snev
Tumbleweed

Postby RYell » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:00 am

Hi, current plans are more or less like this: once the mod gets greenlit then port to SDK 2013 will begin and there will be a Linux compatible client.

I just just don't know if mod will be greenlit some day, half the votes we get there go to "No thanks" and our position is out the top 100, not even close to top 25 where the chosen games tend to be.

For anyone wanting to play FoF on Linux I only can say: bring us votes so the mod chances to be selected increases.

I took a look to those sites and couldn't say that there's too much activity. I honestly don't follow Linux gaming too much so if you or anyone want to do some promotion for us there it would be very welcomed.
RYell
Sheriff

Postby Snev » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:42 am

Thanks for your quick reply.

It dazzles me that half of the votes are 'no thanks'. Those people don't know what they're down voting on? Sad sad sad salaaaad, hey it's almost lunchtime :D
I could be interesting to state somewhere on the steampage that it would remain free when greenlighted? That could trigger some of those idiots to choose the other button?

And maybe you can put up a greenlight widget on the FOF homepage?

<iframe src="http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/widget/93169935" width="336" height="137" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Br, Sven
Snev
Tumbleweed

Postby RYell » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:06 am

Hi Sven, it's actually stated that it will remain free. I'm gonna made it more clear though. In any case, the question asked is if people will play the game or not, so it's about personal preferences I guess. Multiplayer FPSs don't do very well in Greenlight/fund raising etc. FPSs are too 'mainstream' for people that follows alternative gaming. In case of mods (NMRIH, Opposing Force, etc), those that got greenlit was mostly due their own communities voting massively.
RYell
Sheriff

Return to Support